Showing results for Easton, PA
Search by town:
Search Business Name (4 characters minimum):
Easton Area Haunted Public Library
515 Church Street, Easton, PA 18042
The Easton Area Public Library was built in 1903 on the site of the German Reformed Cemetery, the oldest graveyard in Easton. This graveyard was the resting place of 514 people. The graves of all but 30 unclaimed people were moved prior to library construction.
Most of these remains were dumped into an underground cement vault, creating an unmarked mass grave. When additions were built onto the main library building, the cement vault was paved over to create a parking lot. With the disturbance of so many remains, it is no wonder that the library is haunted. There have been reports of a female spirit floating around the outside of the library or standing by a window. Library staff and patrons have reported doors slamming shut and opening suddenly, books flying across stacks or thrown off shelves, filing cabinet drawers opening, objects moving around and being left in unusual places, feeling cold hands run through their hair, and being touched on the shoulders.
State Theatre Center for the Arts
The State Theatre Center for the Arts building dates back to 1925; the façade was retained from an 1873 Northampton National Bank building. The theatre is proud of its paranormal legend, Fred the Ghost. Fred Osterstock managed the company that owned
the theatre from 1936 to 1965. Numerous Fred sightings have been reported. When the theatre was empty, maintenance workers would sometimes glimpse a man at the back of the theatre, just standing, or perhaps entering one of the utility closets. On a few occasions, the police were called and found no one in the building. Once, hair bristled on the necks of dogs they had brought, but nothing was visible to the officers. In 2003, the State Theatre honored FRED by naming the Annual FREDDY AWARDS after him - an awards ceremony that recognizes outstanding achievement in local high school theater.